Monday, February 23, 2009

Almost Time......

Wow, its really been awhile since I posted.

The last few weeks have been really busy as I've been winding down my first contract over here in Korea. I've been finishing up getting everything moved over to what will be my new Apartment, doing classes, getting my Kindergarteners ready for graduation (2 days away), finishing up a year's worth of Kindergarten report cards, writing tests, writing regular report cards, cleaning the apartment, doing laundry, packing to come home, etc etc etc. Man, I really haven't had a day off in awhile, heheheh ;-) .

I actually get on the plane on Friday. Thank the Lord! I'm really ready for a nice break at home, a vacation where I don't have to worry about prepping material for the next week. I've read somewhere that it really takes about 3 weeks for a proper relaxing vacation. One week to destress properly, one week to relax, and one week to get mentally reprepared to go back to work. I can believe it.....I know from experience that one week at a time is definitely not enough. I've got a potentially close to 30 hour trip, between bus to the airport, waits at the terminal, flights, and layovers lined up for Friday. Fortunately at the end of the trip, a good beer, a good dinner (hopefully steak and a real baked potato and broccoli) and a soft bed will be waiting for me. Got alot planned for the 3 weeks I'll be at home, but it will still be a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing all my friends and family back home.

Planning on buying a pack of diapers for myself pretty shortly after getting home too. I dont know how much chance I'll get to wear while at home, but it'll be worth it whatever chance I do get. It'll probably be Depends at first (rolls eyes) but hopefully I'll get myself some decent ones. I haven't reliably gotten to wear for about 6 months now, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Speaking on that, I have to agree with some of the movement in our community about opening up more and more to the world around us. We're never going to be accepted as long as we lurk on the interwebz and thats it. At the same time, I know that its going to be a very hard period of time as we come out. I am definitely not one of those folks who promotes wearing fetish wear all the time, or out in open public (i.e. full blown baby clothes, obvious diapers, pacifiers, etc.). I do think that clothes that make it easy for changes (i.e. snap crotches) and other discreet clothes are perfectly fine. I have 0 problem wearing and using diapers in public. I don't mess usually, but thats a personal preference thing. I think as people would see that we are essentially normal people, the attitudes would start changing. It might take awhile, but they would in time.

Quite honestly, I think we're closer in that direction than most people seem to think. I regularly carry a bag at home with (among other things) a few changes and changing supplies in them. I can tell you that living and being a tourist in Washington DC my bag regularly gets searched (at museums and such). No one's ever blinked an eye, done a double take, or asked me about it. I even went to a theme park so equipped a few times, and have never been asked about it. It just goes in stride. I've worn to work on numerous occaisions, and no ones ever said a word.

I think the key really is just taking everything in stride and acting like it is part of your daily life. Making a big deal out of things just continues to put the emphasis on the differences and not on the similarities. Be confident in yourself. Dont feel you have to overexplain yourself. If someone asks you if you are diapered, say yes, but don't expound. Alot of times the desire to overexplain and keeping bringing up the issue is seen by others as a underlying indication of guilt over something. If on the other hand youre confident about it, without it seeming to bother you, others around you are more likely to take it in stride.

Just my 2 cents on the equation. Well I suppose I better get to bed. Have to be up decently early to go pay bills in the morning before work. I'll probably post again once i get back home :) .

1 comment: