Ok, so I know this is going to be completely random, but, meh, thats what this blog is for.
Anyway, this sorta came across my mind this week, as I've been doing some reflections on many different aspects of my life, and things I want to buy while I'm at home. I've decided that I'm going to buy some more personal items while I'm at home, you know the standard stuff, underwear, socks, soaps, lotions, etc. to bring back with me for the next year. I had seen some pictures over at DD and was like, "Damn, I really want some of those knee-length socks." Now hear me out, its for a combination of reasons.
First, I've been dealing with some issues of my own gender identity (for many years now, on top of the diapers....long story, but largely posted over at DD). I've decided I want to wear some more feminine type clothing, but nothing over the top obviously. So I decided to start there. I always used to like wearing those socks for whatever reason, so I was like "eh, might as well be a good place to start."
Second, I really like the way they feel. I have some past experience with them. When I was in the Scouts, we used to have an option for our Class A (Dress uniform) and Class B (Activity Uniforms) of wearing either sport-style socks, or knee highs. I always opted for the knee-highs, because I thought they were more comfortable for one (the sport socks felt kinda itchy), and they made my legs feel pretty good. Looking back at things now, I think it was probably feeding from the feelings I pointed to in my first point, but meh. I got teased occaisionally for being a "girly boy" because i liked to wear them, but such is life. I liked them and I wasnt going to give them up. So good memories on that end.
Which brings me to my last point. Why on God's Holy Creation must men's underwear and socks be so bleeding bland?????? I mean seriously. Even if I was a completely normal, un mentally screwed up male, I'd be frustrated at the fact that there wasn't a better selection of underwear available. We have (essentially) 3 styles of undies: boxers, briefs, and boxer-briefs. Thats it. Although in recent years there have been SOME growth to more interesting colors and prints, thats not your basic pack of undies yet. And unless you want to shell out big bucks, the only options you have in fabric is cotton, cotton, cotton, and occasionally nylon/acrylic. Bleh. And socks. Hmmm. Oh yeah, styles either on the ankle or up to mid-calf, white, black, blue, or brown. Very little individuality, which isn't bad for dress wear, but I'd like to have more of an option for casual wear, thank you very much.
Girls unmentionables however run the gamut of colors, materials, styles, everything. And its all available at a reasonble price. Where we pay out the nose if we want something a little bit different, they get interesting stuff in their basic packs. I mean, come on, seriously! I know its that the average woman is way more fashion conscious than the average man, but there are some of us who would like a little more choice. And the socks especially. Man. I would love to have their problem of spending so much time just looking for the pattern they like.
And the sad part is that it doesn't really have to be that way for guys. I can tell you, over here in Korea EVERYONE wears wierd designed socks. Admittedly at work, its more the normal dress kinda stuff, but even the guys wear loud colorful socks on their time off. Admittedly this is in the land where guys wearing pink and purple ties/shirts are are common occurence, but I digress. I'd buy some here if I could find ones that matched what I wanted. But, alas, most Koreans wearing ankle socks, and they're average shoe size is a 7, while I wear a 14. Hehe. Even their large socks dont fit me (trust me I've tried).
So, I think I may be spending sometime shopping in a womans department in Walmart in the near future trying to find some interesting and maybe a little sexyish socks. Not that I intend to wear them out or whatever, but there it is.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
interesting. your right that variety is kind of hard to come by in mens fashion, but I think that for whatever reason conformity is what men are all about. we all try desperately to fit in while women go out of their way to stand out. guess that's just the way of the universe.
ReplyDelete